I would prefer to teach... & Culture based differences...

Q. If you were a teacher, who do you prefer to teach, boys or girls? Why?

A. I have taught English to elementary school students and middle school students for a couple of years and I would say boys are more convenient to teach. It is easy to communicate with boys because they don't beat around the bush. They say what they want directly and their feelings are more noticeable than girls.
However, with girls, communicating with them is more fun. As female, we have a lot in common to talk about, and can understand and share our feelings more easily than boys. But what is tricky is that if there is anything that girls don't like or when they are feeling low, it is demanding to get them engaged into learning again and the whole atmosphere of the class becomes awkward. Girls tend to be more emotionally sensitive and sometimes it's hard to give a critical feedback because they accept it rather emotionally than rationally, especially those girls in puberty. Also, girls like to chat so time flies because they distract me from teaching with all the funny stories they heard!
I can't say that I prefer to teach boys or girls. It is best to teach them both in the class harmoniously!


Q. Have you noticed any culture based differences in gender communication and behaviors?
    Have you observed any of these differences while traveling?

A. I haven't experienced any of those culture based différences myself but I've heard someone telling me about it.
There was a guy who stayed in Israel for 6 months and traveled to Turkey and when I asked him to tell me more about it, the first thing he said was those middle Asian men really like Asian women. They think Asian women are quiet and obedient. I thought that was so not true. That idea seems to prevail among Western world and it probably has come from Japan. Asian women may have been obedient in the past under the strict Confucianism, but it's not like that now. But still it seems like a common idea shared by Western men.
I don't really care what people think of Asian women but I don't want them to reflect their idea on their behavior. It would be so rude and stupid to act on that idea to any Asia woman who they meet for the first time. The world has changed and is still changing now so I wish that strange idea disappears.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Animal testing should be banned in cosmetic industry.

British-owned cruise ship wrecks one of Indonesia’s best coral reefs